Civil Litigation Lawyer London - When a business enterprise encounters financial problems, amongst the most important things you can do is choose the right team to help you navigate the process. bankruptcies, business restructuring and insolvencies can be among the most difficult of experiences. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of knowledge to be able to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to offer representation and recommendation, leading to strategic, timely and efficient solutions.
We work with business enterprises in businesses such as airline, automotive, biomedical, communications, entertainment, construction, financial services, funeral, healthcare, insurance, marketing, manufacturing, steel, mining, retail, technology, real estate and natural resources. Our lawyers can assist you with the complexities of cross-border procedures administered under either the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA") or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. We have extensive experience with multi-national and domestic business reorganizations and restructuring, whether informal or court-supervised. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation within the United States and Canada have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; however, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to require those involved in cross-border proceedings to be knowledgeable concerning both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries within a lot of the largest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Timely access to the needed professionals could tip the scales in favour of a positive result during business restructuring and insolvency. Our team draws upon the depth and breadth of other skilled members in our international business in all legal fields connected to business reorganizations. Our office has experts in banking and securitization, mergers and acquisitions, public and private equity, labour and employment, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before appellate and trial courts, our team provides experienced litigators.
Our services to a wide range of stakeholders include the following:
1. We advise financially challenged businesses about restructuring options and alternatives including initiating and directing formal restructuring procedures under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. We offer recommendation to boards of directors and special/independent committees of private and public corporations about businesses in financial distress.
3. In relation to insolvent business debtors, we advise in the context of cross-border restructuring proceedings, to institutional and non-regulated lenders, agents to and members of operational, term, asset-based and second-lien lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, bondholders, trust indentures trustees, ad hoc and formal noteholders committees, and hedge fund and private equity investors.
4. In cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to Canadian and cross-border restructuring proceedings, we advise the ad-hoc and formal creditors committees.
5. We can assist the many secured creditors in the insolvency procedures, concerning the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests.
6. We can help trustees through bankruptcy, liquidators, monitors, receivers, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA proceedings. Also, we can make proposals under the BIA, consisting of receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. In relation to insolvent or defaulting debtors, we advise equipment lessors and vendors, suppliers, contracting third parties, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency proceedings and realizations.
8. We advise purchasers obtaining businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the BIA and CCAA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. In insolvency proceedings, we help investment bankers, financial advisors, and other consultants.
10. We provide counsel about a wide range of litigation problems arising in the context of business restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency cases.
11.We can defend and prosecute in litigating actions and preference actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the acquiring of urgent relief to protect and preserve assets from dissipation, such as mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf